Kolmanskop was once a small but thriving town, founded by German miners and their families in the early 1900s. Now it's a ghost town, attracting countless tourists and photographers from all over the world who want to see its surreal landscapes first hand
In 1908, a man named Zacharias Lewala, stumbled across a diamond while working and brought it to the railway inspector August Stauch to confirm what it was. Not only was it authentic, but the area was full of them. Word got out and suddenly miners and their families had settled in and lined the streets with German architecture. Quaint home, hospitals, a theater, as well as the first tram in Africa and the first x-ray station in the Southern Hemisphere were erected here.
The people were thriving and the town flourishing, rich with diamonds until after the World War that is. The price of diamonds began to drop and another location further south had a significant amount of much larger diamonds than the people of Kolmanskop were unearthing. By 1954, everyone had packed up and left the little village behind.